The Enderis Park community, bounded by Lisbon Avenue on the north, Center Street on the south, 76th Street on the west and 60th Street on the east, represents 1500 diverse households, including single family homes, duplexes and several apartment complexes. The beautiful mostly brick Tudors, English cottage and Cape Cod homes were constructed from the 1930's and 1940's, with a few homes being built in 1950. Originally called "Gale Crest Park" subdivision, the area was established in the late 1920's and was designed to be green, with "artistic, park-type design," "beautiful" boulevards, circular drives, large lots, wide streets, and "park resting grounds." The Enderis Playfield was built by WPA in the 1930's and represents the cultural heart of the neighborhood for concerts, picnics, and other activities such as Easter Egg hunt, July 4th celebration, Mulchfest, and Plant sales.
Enderis Park was named for Milwaukee educator Dorothy Enderis (1880-1952), a teacher and assistant superintendent who embraced multiculturalism and was a key figure in MPS Recreation and Adult Education programs. In 2004, the park underwent an improvement project and along with neighborhood fund raising and grants, installed the "Magic Grove " -a monumental steel sculpture, a running/walking track and swing sets. Additionally the park has several sand volleyball courts, tot lot, wading pool, softball diamond, tennis courts, and soccer nets.
In addition to the Enderis Park Playfield, other "parks" are located within the area: Triangle Park ( a beautiful boulevard) at 67th and Emery, and Squirrel Park , at and and Hadley. The neighborhood is connected by the Enderis Park Neighborhood Association, established in the early 1990's, with the purpose of making a positive difference, empowering and uniting neighbors to create a safe vibrant neighborhood, sharing information, and promoting social events to connect to neighbors.
Obtain a Permit from Milwaukee Public Schools Recreation Dept.
- Call (414) 475-8410 and ask for Ms. Megan Frey. A deposit of 1/2 of total rental fee is required when the reservation is made with the remainder due one week before the event. Permit holders may pay in cash or check and they must bring their payment in person to the Recreation Dept. Office, at 5225 W. Vliet (Rm 163).
- The Field house is available from 8:00 am to 8:30 PM Monday thru Sunday.
- Maximum number of people allowed is 30.
- The rate is $25 per hour plus an additional $10 per hour for a Field Attendant who has the keys for the entrance doors and the restrooms.
- You may request entrance into the Field house an hour ahead of your allotted time for set up.
- Permitted groups must clean up- sweeping floors, washing tables before folding them to store against the walls and putting folding chairs in the racks.